Doxycycline is popular semi-synthetic representative of tetracyclines. The bacteriostatic activity of tetracyclines leads to disruption of protein synthesis by the microbial cell. The main action of Doxycycline is antibacterial, and it is considered to be broad spectrum bacteriostatic medication.
Unfortunately, after often uncontrolled use of doxycycline for the widest indications, the drug lost its former popularity. The main reason is that resistance of pathogens to it and the emergence of new groups of antimicrobials that have pharmacodynamic advantages as well as better safety profile.
However, the global increase in pathogens resistance to widely used antibiotics, demands the need of using some classic drugs with preserved activity for appropriate indications. With undeniably relevant infections, doxycycline, even as a part of combination therapy, successfully solves the problem of atypical pathogens. For acne, rosacea, and periodontitis, doxycycline monotherapy is highly significant. The use of doxycycline is also quite effective for the prevention and treatment of Lyme disease.
What are pharmacological peculiarities of Doxycycline Canada?
Doxycycline is really effective against extra- and intracellularly microorganisms, including staphylococci, streptococci and other cocci, hemophilic coli, intestinal bacteria, including shigella, fusobacteria, spirochetes, rickettsia, chlamydia, causative agents of actinomycosis.
Doxycycline is better absorbed than other similar drugs, and is effective up to 24 hours. this medicine is also highly effective when administered intravenously (blood concentration of active component is higher than during oral administration).
When Doxycycline should be used?
Doxycycline has a wide mechanism of action, but most often it is used in treatment of
- acute and exacerbations of chronic forms of periodontitis,
- sexually transmitted infections,
- skin and soft tissue infections,
- inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs,
- respiratory tract infections,
- gastrointestinal tract infections,
- vector-borne diseases, zoonoses and especially dangerous infections
- inflammatory diseases of the maxillofacial area.
What should you know before taking Doxycycline Generic?
First of all, you should never use Doxycycline without doctor’s prescription, as it could lead to the serious side effects. Still, there exist some peculiarities that you should learn before starting the treatment course. This drug is quickly and easily absorbed, but the fatty food significantly reduces bioavailability. Moreover, it’s important to know that:
- the main component’s activity decreases in the presence of calcium, magnesium, iron supplementation, aluminum and other heavy metal ions, as insoluble complexes are formed.
- Penetrates and is deposited (as complex with calcium) in bone tissue, especially in dentin and tooth enamel.
- Accumulates in inflamed tissue, including the purulent contents (drainage) of the paranasal sinuses.
- The drug shouldn’t be taken with milk.
Method of application and dose
Doxycycline should be taken after eating with sufficient amount of water. Also, it’s possible to take intravenous during severe conditions and difficulties in oral intake. During the first treatment day, adults and children over 12 years old, must take a daily dose (0,2 g) once per day, or half of the dose (0.1 g) every 12 hours. during the rest of the treatment only ½ of the dose once a day. In severe condition and in treatment of actinomycosis of the maxillofacial region, 0.2 g every day should be used.
- Capsules of 50, 100 and 200 mg;
- tablets of 0.1 and 0.2 g;
- lyophilized powder for injection
- solutions in ampoules of 0.1 and 0.2 g;
- 2% solution for injection in vials of 5 ml.
Doxycycline Generic side effects
As Doxycycline is used against serious diseases, sometimes it can cause side effects. in order to avoid health issues during the intake of the medicine, it’s important to follow doctor’s order and do not violate the recommended dosage.
The following side effects could be determined:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the ingredients;
- allergic diseases, including hay fever;
- kidney and liver failure;
- nausea and colitis;
- cholestatic jaundice.
Despite the fact that the practice of using doxycycline for the treatment of infections dates back many decades, the drug continues to be in demand for the treatment of a wide range of dangerous human diseases. Doxycycline is becoming in demand, including for the treatment and prevention of rare, insufficiently studied, as well as especially dangerous infections.